[OSGeo-Edu] Inventory Database

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Apr 13 09:05:26 EDT 2009

Hi Alex:

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Here's a print out of what I'd like to change it to
> http://www.easy-share.com/1904503969/The_OSGeo_Education_and_Curriculum_Project___OSGeo.pdf
> Mostly just re-arranging the lists to make them more concise and the
> items stand out more.

Great suggestions. Feel free to make the changes. Do you have edit
authority?
> Alex Mandel wrote
>
> In short I think some more advertising could help, it shouldn't take
> long with a few volunteers to move all the existing data over, although
> we need to mark things on the wiki page that have been moved to help
> alleviate confusion and speed up the process.

Folks - if you have an entry on the old wiki inventory, please

(1) move your metadata information from the old wiki inventory [A] to
the search database [B] and
(3) delete the old entry on the wiki page. [A]
Also,
(4) please consider adding new new updated content to the searchable
database if you have it.
> As for the SVN issue, I have a fair amount of experience teaching people
> who wouldn't otherwise use version control to use svn. There are
> actually some really great graphical interfaces to make it much easier.
> Tortiosesvn for Windows, esvn for Linux, and I'll have to dig through my
> notes to find the Mac application. I'll also have to dig up my slides on
> 'Intro to SVN' and post them. Lastly, I will also volunteer to put
> things into svn for anyone that finds it too challenging.

Thar's a terrific offer Alex. Last year, my colleague wrote up SVN
instruction material using Tortiosesvn for the group, but something went
wrong with the screenshots and we haven't been able to get that
documentation fixed. I can send you what we have if you'd like to work
with that.

Building a system and process as a group that supports the creation of
new educational content from old content is what we should as a group be
striving for.  For instance, translations of tutorials  from one
language to another, or from one software version to another. If we can
get a SVN process documented and some people committed to use it, that
would be a great step forward for us all.

If  you can get the process documented, I'll be happy to try it out. I
have material I'd be happy to make available.

Cheers and thanks Alex!

Charlie