[OSGeo-Edu] Our past discussions about curriculum collaboration

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Aug 16 12:20:12 EDT 2010

Hi OSGeo folks,

This is related to Group ToDo #7 on our wiki todo page [1] --
Collaborative curriculum planning...

I've been thinking about our past discussions on how we can make some
progress around some kind of coordinated educational curriculum effort.
You may recall we were talking last year about using AAG's GIS&T's Body
of Knowledge as an organizing framework, and I actually got permission
from them to use it. More recently, I've discovered that it isn't open
access which deters me from using it. Since then I've discovered the
Geospatial Technology Competency Model developed by the U.S. Dept of
Labor [2].

One way we might do this is to try and organize full courses some of us
have developed or are developing that are relevant to OS geospatial
education. And one way we could market these courses more is if we as a
group [OSGeo edu] considered joining the Open Course Ware Consortium as
a non-profit affiliate member [3]. What I don't like about this option
is that it would require an annual fee of $500 to do this, and it might
be complicated for course developers in our group who have institutional
copyright issues. But I think this might be one way to start organizing
our individual curriculum and sharing that, in addition to our efforts
to share educational material we are writing.

Questions:

1) Should we try to start inventorying and organizing our individual
courses in a similar way we are inventorying educational content?
2) Do people think the OCWare Consortium is something we should look
into further?
and an outstanding question from a previous email:
3) Did anyone want to take on leading an effort to develop an edited
volume/handbook of OS Desktop GIS and/or on OS web GIS as Venka
suggested in our IRC? (Thanks to Ned Horning for volunteering to try and
lead the ongoing educational content inventory effort).

Cheers
Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Edu_goals_and_to_dos
[2] http://tinyurl.com/3528ks8