[OSGeo-Edu] Our past discussions about curriculum collaboration

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Aug 16 12:50:26 EDT 2010

Charlie et al,

On question #3 I'd love to see generic GIS lab exercises that can be
executed in any number of desktop GIS tools. How could this be crafted?
Maybe we come up with 10 exercises and we could write all the generic
material define the format etc. then invite participants from each of the
desktop GIS teams to edit it with their own screen captures and specifics.
This would be totally cool because then we'd have 3 to 5 lab manuals that
teach the identical material - each one using different software.  What do
you (and others) think of this approach?

- Dan

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Charlie Schweik <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
> wrote:

> Hi OSGeo folks,
>
> This is related to Group ToDo #7 on our wiki todo page [1] -- Collaborative
> curriculum planning...
>
> I've been thinking about our past discussions on how we can make some
> progress around some kind of coordinated educational curriculum effort. You
> may recall we were talking last year about using AAG's GIS&T's Body of
> Knowledge as an organizing framework, and I actually got permission from
> them to use it. More recently, I've discovered that it isn't open access
> which deters me from using it. Since then I've discovered the Geospatial
> Technology Competency Model developed by the U.S. Dept of Labor [2].
>
> One way we might do this is to try and organize full courses some of us
> have developed or are developing that are relevant to OS geospatial
> education. And one way we could market these courses more is if we as a
> group [OSGeo edu] considered joining the Open Course Ware Consortium as a
> non-profit affiliate member [3]. What I don't like about this option is that
> it would require an annual fee of $500 to do this, and it might be
> complicated for course developers in our group who have institutional
> copyright issues. But I think this might be one way to start organizing our
> individual curriculum and sharing that, in addition to our efforts to share
> educational material we are writing.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Should we try to start inventorying and organizing our individual
> courses in a similar way we are inventorying educational content?
> 2) Do people think the OCWare Consortium is something we should look into
> further?
> and an outstanding question from a previous email:
> 3) Did anyone want to take on leading an effort to develop an edited
> volume/handbook of OS Desktop GIS and/or on OS web GIS as Venka suggested in
> our IRC? (Thanks to Ned Horning for volunteering to try and lead the ongoing
> educational content inventory effort).
>
> Cheers
> Charlie
>
> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Edu_goals_and_to_dos