[OSGeo-Edu] licensing (or not) edu material

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 10:30:19 EDT 2010

This is a great discussion but I think we need to remember that for
some (many/most?) edu contributors we don't get to choose the license.
The university lawyers do this for us, even though I (and my immediate
boss, and his boss) want to release open course ware with no
restrictions (or at least just CC-BY) there is no way the lawyers will
allow this. For a new course I sign a 4 page legal document assigning
all my rights to the university (including film and comic rights :-))
- then the university slaps a CC-BY-NC-SA license on it and puts it on
the web. This is a step forward from two years ago when they used the
"PSU OER license" which was CC-BY-NC-SA with some extras added.

Ian

--
Ian Turton