[El] Patch for mapserver

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Wed Nov 17 09:32:49 EST 2010

--------Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org> wrote--------
Subject: Re: [El] Patch for mapserver
Date: 17.11.2010 11:43

>Hi Peter,

Hi Mathieu

>do you think that MapServer will produce a new release soon?

I have not heard of a new 5.6 release and would guess, since MapServer 6.0 is in the pipeline, that a new 5.6 release would not happen any time soon.

>Wouldn't it be possible to create a patch against the v5.6.5 code
>rather than SVN?
Well, this is a patch against the 5.6.5 tar ball. It adds/changes a dozen of lines.
>That would rather be the "enterprise linux" approach (patching stable
>versions).
>
>I am not too comfortable with packaging SVN versions for mature
>projects like MapServer.

As said, the change set is taken from svn, but applied against the current stable 5.6.5 release. Should not be a problem at all. As said, "shp2img" is almost unusable without the patch and the patch is very local to shp2img. Furthermore, the patch is small, simple and looks quite correct, but judge yourself: http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/10647.
Anyway, I do not have any problem to roll my own rpm. I do need a working shp2img, since I use it for map file profiling and debugging. I guess that a good part of MapServer power users do need shp2img working, as this is the command line version of MapServer

>They can be build and installed locally if required.
>RPM packaging make sense for identifiable releases/RC/milestones.

Well, a stable release with a nasty little bug is just that: a stable release with a nasty little bug. I needed it to be fixed.

>These are just thoughts, comments welcome!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mathieu

Regards,

Peter