[fdo-internals] SVN Repository Merge Issues

Robert Bray rbray at robertbray.net
Wed Jan 24 17:24:20 EST 2007

All,

Shawn has been tinkering with this and has been able to successfully
merge trunk. However it looks like we will not be able to merge the
branches. You can see a preview of the merged repository here:
http://test.osgeo.net/trac/fdo-merged/browser/.

Merging in SVN alters the revision numbers, which is why the branch
merges do not work. Here is the summary from Shawn: "I've searched and
spoken with a few people on subversion merges and consensus is, branches
and tags are broken on projects that are being merged into another
project, due to the fact that the tag/branch repository specific and
don't translate to a new repository structure."

So it looks like we may need to have an OLD COLLECTION OF REPOSITORIES
(3.2.x) and a NEW REPOSITORY (3.3.x and beyond). This is not ideal but I
do not know what else to do at this point.

Thoughts and ideas welcome?

Bob