[fdo-internals] FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 12:06:18 EDT 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>

> I welcome all feedback community members have on the Python scripts. If
> there are developers that have concerns about the usage of SWIG to generate
> the python scripts then I encourage them to join the FDO community and work
> to make the implementation a better one. There is no mandate to use SWIG so
> I am sure the existing FDO community would be open to discussing other
> alternatives.

Greg,

Are there any plans to offer other language bindings using SWIG?  If so,
then I don't think it is worthwhile pursuing other binding mechanisms
unless someone in the community would like to do so.

Ultimately I think it would take a substantial amount of layered stuff
on top of the FDO C++ API to make it palatable to the hard core python
folks so it is likely best to leave that to something like PCL, and
focus on a Python binding that is a close match to the C++ classes,
possibly adding a bit of syntactic sugar which can be accomplished with
SWIG.

Lets not let one member of the community wag the dog, nor discourage the
good work that has already been accomplished.