[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 21 - New Linux Buildsystem Cmake Based

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Oct 21 13:34:00 EDT 2008

I think numbers 1, 2, and 5 have been addressed.  (it won't modify the
existing process; no impact on the Windows build; won't give us a
buildbot).  I'll note that Trevor W. is working on a continuous build
process for MapGuide Open Source on his personal servers; perhaps there
is an opportunity for FDO to piggyback on that with some kind of
resource contribution?

I see the rest of the questions as appropriate if this were to be the
sole build mechanism for FDO, but as an alternate build procedure I
don't understand why this level of rigour needs to be applied.  The
point of getting the scripts into the SVN repository is so that the
community can more easily access the CMake build, keep it maintained,
and start to develop process around it.  If your requirements (unit
tests and documentation) don't happen organically, then the CMake build
process can be declared a failure and removed with no ill effects.  I
personally think that expecting new features to spring to life
fully-formed from an open source community is unrealistic, and applying
commercial development constraints to this project will ultimately limit
FDO as an open source project; Autodesk and consultants such as SL-King
will be the only ones able to contribute effectively.

Here's my take at answering the outstanding questions:

3) To my knowledge this process has only been run and tested against
Mandriva.  I'll be happy to do the same against Ubuntu for sure, and may
find time to set up VMs for Debian and a recent version of CentOS as
well.  Helio, do you know if there is any intention of adding MapGuide
support to the other GeoLinux distributions?  Are there any problems
running the unit tests?

4) Helio has taken on responsibility for maintaining the CMake build
process for GeoLinux (on Mandriva) and has done so for more than a year
in a consistent manner.  I am personally willing to commit to learning
CMake and helping to maintain it for FDO as well.  Are either of these
commitments as reliable as a full time paid position?  Absolutely not,
but I don't believe it is realistic to expect that from the open source
community.

6) I will take on documenting this process, once the code is available
in SVN.  I'm sure others will contribute, as they have to the MapGuide
quick start guides on the OSGeo wiki.

BTW, I've been working with the CMake build process for MapGuide that
Helio just posted to the MapGuide-internals list.  It seems simple and
intuitive so far, in a way that I've never felt about the auto* chain.
If it is desired to have a mechanism to build using the included
libraries, it seems quite feasible to create something like the
build_linux.sh script that sets up the required command line options to
CMake.