[fdo-internals] Re: [mapguide-internals] MapGuide REST Extension

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Feb 14 16:24:34 EST 2009

Bob wrote:

> I don't want to see FDO dependencies in the web-tier for example, that
> would be  a serious implementation problem IMO.

I agree that the version of this module that is distributed with the MapGuide web tier should not have a direct dependency on FDO; access should through the feature service.  However, I also want to keep this code as flexible as possible.

For instance, I would eventually like to see a version that doesn't require a full MapGuide webserverextensions install for a light-weight IIS/Apache module (or maybe something lighter) on a dedicated REST server.

I would also eventually like to see a version that allows direct RESTful access to HTTP and FDO data sources without the complexity and management overhead of a full MapGuide Server install.  Something similar to FeatureServer.org.  This would enable quick-win data serving for organisations that just want to use something like a Google Maps front end.

Jason