[fdo-users] Problem building FDO 3.3 with MySQL/ODBC on CentOS 5

Gavin Cramer gavin.cramer at autodesk.com
Fri Mar 14 02:23:00 EDT 2008

Hm... was there any version pre-installed with the OS?  It looks like patchlevels are being mixed.  Unixodbc has different ways of being installed -- RPM, tarball, and whatever the OS distribution might use.  It might be worth searching the filesystem for multiple instances of files in the package.  Things to find would be libodbc.so or isql.

What was your source for the RPM -- from the CentOS distribution, or straight from http://www.unixodbc.org ?  I have seen some problems with distribution builds (e.g. RedHat) where there were run-time failures to find the .ini files from any client other than isql.  There appears to be some critically different way that RedHat builds the driver manager; perhaps CentOS does the same thing.  Thus, getting the generic unixodbc.org build is recommended.

While searching for issues with SQLGetPrivateProfileString in other forums, I found some notes from Easysoft on link-time options for drivers:  http://www.easysoft.com/developer/interfaces/odbc/linux.html .  I wonder if there are similar right and wrong ways to build the driver manager as well.

Other articles of interest:

http://mail.easysoft.com/pipermail/unixodbc-dev/2004-December/thread.html#296 ("Problem loading our ODBC driver")

http://www.nabble.com/libodbcinst.so-td11580016.html

In the "Problem loading our ODBC driver" articles, there is mention of the dynamic linker being unable to find SQLGetPrivateProfileString in 2.2.10, whereas 2.2.8 worked fine.  If some problem was found and subsequently fixed in a later patchlevel, it would be important to make sure that there are no remnants of an earlier version in an installation.  While neither of the variations (2.2.11-1 and 2.2.11-7.1) that you reported would be old enough (generic 2.2.11-1 is the tested version), it would be worth the time to manually make sure that generic 2.2.11-1 is the one and only version that exists anywhere on the system.

Do you have the MySQL Connector/ODBC installed?  This is the ODBC driver for MySQL.  It should be no older than version 3.51.16.  This is a run-time requirement, and should not be an issue during the build.  I am just noting it for after you get past the build issue.  It is available here:  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html .

Gavin