[fdo-users] ArcSDE questions

George McLean gmclean at gorge.net
Tue Nov 11 19:13:26 EST 2008

I have a few of questions related to ArcSDE.

I am using ArcSDE 9.3 with SQLServer 2005 as the database and the dbo
user. I am starting with an empty schema. Through ArcCatalog I have
created a line feature class. However, I can not see the feature class
listed when I connect through Autocad Map's display manager. When I
connect there are no features listed to bring onto the map. Not having
much experience with ArcCatalog, I would like to know if creating a
feature class is what I need to do to see features in Autocad. If so,
are there any special considerations in building the feature class?

Also, at this point there is no data in the feature class. Could this be
why it is not listed in the display manger connection?

Finally, I have some .net code that I use to port data from Autocad into
an FDO datastore. It works with Oracle and MySQL. I am not sure of the
connection strong parameters required to connect to ArcSDE. In my code I
create a string as follows:

"service=MyService; username=MyUser; password=MyPass; datastore=MyDataStore"

What I am not sure about is what to put in for MyService and MyDataStore
when using ArcSDE.

I have tried the GIS server name for MyService and the schema name for
MyDataStore but I can not connect.

Any guidance on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

George McLean