[fdo-users] Upgrading to current version of PostGIS

Michael Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Thu Jun 4 15:32:48 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using PostGIS on an Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS server, and I've been using the FDO PostGIS providers with AutoCAD Map 3D 2008 and 2010 (FDO 3.2 and 3.4, respectively) from http://www.geomapgis.com/web/geomap-group/fdo/

Previously, I was using postgis version 1.3.3 / geos 2.2.3 via apt-get
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/postgresql-8.3-postgis
With that setup, my postgis_full_version() SQL command returned:
POSTGIS="1.3.3" GEOS="2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.0, 21 Dec 2007" USE_STATS

However, I required an upgrade due to bugs with that version of PostGIS and/or geos (namely ST_Buffer). So, I uninstalled the apt-get builds of proj, geos and postgis packages, and manually built proj, geos, and postgis from source using the current stable versions. Now my postgis_full_version() returns:
POSTGIS="1.3.6" GEOS="3.1.0-CAPI-1.5.0" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.1, 21 August 2008" USE_STATS

The database functions normally, and QGIS can connect, ST_Buffer works, etc. However, I cannot connect or use the database as I did before the upgrade with the PostGIS provider. When attempting to connect, Map3D 2008 crashes with an error "AutoCAD cannot continue" an no other message. Map3D 2010 doesn't crash, but throws an error/exception "There was a problem accessing the connection's schema information."

So, my question is if the version of PostGIS is important to the FDO provider, and if so, what versions are supported? This doesn't have a ticket, but I'll start one once I know a bit more info about the versions.

Thanks,

-Mike