[OSGeo Finance] Quarterly Financial Statements

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Sep 29 08:36:00 EDT 2008

Frank,

One thing we didn't really come up with last year was a budget
breakdown by quarter. This can really help because you can then assess
actuals vs. planned. This is particularly important when you have
things such as:

1. Huge conference rev/exp or other one-time events that show up at
predictable points and strongly impact budget.
2. ups and downs of sponsorships. Sometimes you can have a wave of
renewals that give you a false sense of security .. .or vise versa,
nothing for a period that shouldn't necessarily be alarming if you
already have a quarter by quarter plan of when money will come in / out.
3. Really helps with Cash flow planning. Even if your income statement
is great -- if it happens at the wrong time, you can run out of cash
-- and that's a much bigger problem.

Dave