[FOSS-GPS] Cleaning up the ogm-widget branch

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon Jun 28 23:18:58 EDT 2010

Sander van Grieken <sander at 3v8.net> writes:

> I have been trying to clean up my branch of foxtrotgps and address
> the concerns Joshua has, but I've been hit by several bugs in the
> tools I use. Both Eclipse's Apply Patch functionality and Kompare
> have limitations or bugs that prevent me from doing full interactive
> selection on hunk-level. (Eclipse doesn't seem to save the
> interactive changes, and Kompare saves into the patch file itself :)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much I can offer as far as useful
recommendations for diff-tools goes--I just use emacs and the usual
command-line utilities (*occasionally* I'll even use commands like
"diff -u <(bzr diff -c-1 branch1) <(bzr diff branch2)", but not often).

Emacs' ediff & smerge modes are reasonably good--they are mostly
capable of doing word-level or even character-level comparisons and
showing which parts of the changed lines are the actual changes,
and distinguishing them from the parts that are actually the same.
And they integrate with the editor, so it's straightforward to do
things like `jump to the place where this diff-hunk applies,
edit things and rediff until diffs are minimised' or `pick a side
for this part of the conflict, revise it and rediff'.
But it's hard to suggest investing in learning emacs just for the
diff-tools....

I'm not familiar with Eclipse or Kompare at all.

Looking at this page:

    http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/3rdPartyTools

The `Diffuse' tool looks interesting, as does Meld.

Though I haven't used Meld much myself, and I've never used Diffuse at all....

Hopefully this doesn't sound condescending--sometimes it's just not obvious
to people: bzr actually gives you full-text copies of *both* versions
of each conflicted file during a merge with conflicts, e.g.: `foo.c.THIS'
is your local version, and `foo.c.OTHER' is the version from the branch
that you were trying to merge into yours, and `foo.c.BASE' is a common
ancestor; if you have tools that can't process conflict-markers in
`foo.c', then you can try giving it those files instead (I think Meld
is like that). Have you tried doing something like that?

> Also, I'm hit by this bug when trying to rebase my branch on current trunk
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/539773

That's... strange.

Are you actually trying to use the "bzr rebase" command, or do just mean
*merging* the trunk down into your branch?

And what version of Bazaar are you using? Have you done anything to
change the repository-format of your local branch?