[FOSS-GPS] Dead Reckoning?

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 9 03:05:16 EDT 2011

How much potential is there to improve position with Kalman filtering in
RTKLib?

I have an Inertial Measurement Unit on the rover with accelerometers and
a magnetometer compass, and there's tachometers on the wheels.  The
rover will not move quickly, but compass headings are never exact, and
tachometer counts will have some slippage on rough ground.  Basically it
is a fair Dead Reckoning input, but with all the usual problems of DR.

How heavily does RTKLib filter the solution with its history of past
solutions and estimated velocity?  Or does it largely rely on the
current solution without filtering a history of past positions and
velocity estimates?

I saw there is a parameter for a limit on acceleration.  Would a
parameter limited velocity helpful?  The rover's speed is limited,
although it can stop immediately upon obstacles.  Of course, with a DR
input stream, the limits on velocity and acceleration could be versus
the DR-estimated position, so they could be a much lower correction for
drift once the starting location is resolved.

Danny