[FOSS-GPS] Position modes in RTKPOST

António Pestana afsm.pestana at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:48:34 EDT 2011

Dear Mr. Takasu an other list members:

I am aware (not really aware, I've just heard off...) of the following
solutions to the positioning problem we are dealing with (GNSS positioning):

 a) Least mean square (LMS)

b) Weighted least mean square (WLMS)

c) Kalman filter

c.1) static positioning: coordinates of the receiver are constants and the
estimated clock offset of the receiver is white noise with zero mean

c.2) kinematic positioning for high receiver velocity: coordinates and
clock offset are modelled as zero mean white noise

c.3) kinematic positioning for low velocity: the coordinates are modelled
as a random walk

I think that a) and b) are not suitable to RTK positioning because of the
ill-conditioning of the design matrix (very short observation time spans,
frequently one solution per epoch). I'm I right?

If I'm right then it follows that in RTK we are using some sort of "Kalman
filter" type solutions. And if we are using "Kalman filters" type solutions
then the following questions arise:

1. RTKPOST "static" is like c.1)?

2. RTKPOST "kinematic" is like c.2) or c.3)?

3. And RTKPOST "single"? Is it LMS/WLMS?

Regards

Antonio