[FOSS4G-Oceania] Swag

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:07:12 PDT 2018

I think it's a nice, creative idea. It avoids waste generated by the usual
conference swag; if any attendees opt not to take books, we can sell,
raffle, gift, and donate the extras.

Possibly could identify a few publishers and see what kind of bulk
discounts we could get - Locate Press, Packt Publishing, Safari/O'Reilly,
and Manning are a few that jump to mind. (I notice Locate Press
<https://locatepress.com/books>, run by Gary Sherman - the creator of QGIS
- does printing in Australia).

Potentially it's a good opportunity to engage the community in the next
couple of months, with the question 'which books?'.

Just having a look at the budget, we haven't actually allocated any
specific money to swag, apart from t-shirts, this was a bit of an
oversight. We'll need to adjust this and allocate something, since we
committed to our sponsors. We have, however, allocated to some items we
probably won't use, and we're sitting on a comfortable sponsorship surplus,
so I think we'll have enough flexibility to come up with something.

+1 for looking into the idea further and coming up with a cost estimate.