[FOSS4G-Oceania] Community Day - tentpole and long tail events

David Dean ddean at ieee.org
Wed Jul 11 03:22:24 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I didn't get a change to be around for the end of discussion of the
community day, but I understand there is some concern that calling for
proposals similar to what we have at
https://foss4g-oceania.org/attend/community-day/community-day-proposal (which,
while live, is not linked from anywhere) may lead to a chaotic community
day with too many projects for people to choose from.

I think the alternative would be to focus on three-ish tentpole events
(Missing Maps, OSGeo codesprint, QGIS?), and have other people interested
in running events email us directly to limit the number of projects offered.

There were also suggestions of wikis and mailing lists, but from my
experience with organising OSM events is that most non-technical people
don't want to deal with that sort of things, and would prefer to use
webforms and eventbrite-like registration.

I personally would like to make the form active for people to propose
projects in the lead up to the conference, and then something like
eventbrite (or a registration form on our website) where community
contributors can indicate the projects they are going to work on. We could
handle a few non-shows and a few people turning up without registering, but
we would obviously prefer if they did.

Discuss! In particular, it would help be if you can explain why we
*shouldn't* be making the project proposal form live, and what we should do
alternatively, if not.

Thanks everyone!

- David
--