[FOSS4G-Oceania] Community Day - tentpole and long tail events

David Dean ddean at ieee.org
Mon Jul 16 18:10:42 PDT 2018

I think we need to start chasing down project ideas for the Community Day
to adequately plan what it will look like, and I think using the submisison
form is the proper democratic way to go about doing that. While it would be
a good idea to seek out some tent-pole events, we should also allow good
ideas to trickle to the top.

In some ways, we might be thinking about this too much too early, or at
least we don't want to put too much publicity out too early for a free
event, as we could get a lot of no-shows.

At this stage we need to make sure we have the venue (tick) and funds for
the food (tick?), and at least some tentative commitment from some bigger
tentpole projects (working towards this, but I think it should be through
the form).

I would appreciate more discussion about the Community Day in the next
meeting, as I'll get a better feel for the reasons for delaying setting up
a project submisison form.

- David

http://dbdean.com