[FOSS4G-Oceania] Fwd: student/volunteer pricing

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:29:34 PDT 2018

Thanks for the clarification Martin! My apologies, I misunderstood, I
thought you were saying students wouldn't be able to afford to pay, the
idea of the new proposal was to accommodate those in that situation.

I can still see value in following through with the proposal to change
though: it covers the incremental cost of catering for volunteers, and
clarifies our position somewhat on volunteer expectations (ie work a full
day, and they can have some freedom during their day to attend small parts
of the conf). The 5 free volunteer regos and the 10 discounted student
regos would hopefully accommodate students in a variety of situations.

So I guess I'm looking for either:

   - indications of support from the committee for the proposal as is,
   - or specific suggestions for modifications to the existing proposal,
   - or a vote to stay with the status quo (see budget
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yHWdvEPxshBSBgxjc4vWgJlg0Svk8Qg0G-D3kF-siM/edit#gid=1274394515>
   ).

So far I have 3 hands up in support, and some helpful comments, but I don't
yet have a clear indication of what direction to take. I'm reluctant to
make changes to an approved budget with only 4 out of 14 committee members'
support.

Apologies if this all seems overwrought and time-consuming, if so, we may
need to come up with a different model for decision making besides
consensus building.