[FOSS4G-Oceania] Call for workshops winding up

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 00:24:17 PDT 2018

Interesting point. At F4G boston I went to an Azavea workshop which used
open source (free as in pay nothing) tooling; but called to Azavea’s image
analysis API (raster foundry?). It worked great, and the tools were useful
even without using the paid-for data parts. We had temporary licenses for
the day.

I also went to a GBDX workshop (sponsored content) - which again provided
some insight which is useful beyond paying for GBDX.

There’s a mix there, I think the key is that if you propose a workshop
using a tool people need to pay for, provide them a license for the day;
and give skills which are also useful if you take the tool away.

(and one last hustle - anyone wanna co-propose an open storymap workshop?)

On 30 July 2018 at 16:54, Martin Tomko <tomkom at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> +1 m.
>
> On 30 Jul. 2018 4:08 pm, Andrew Harvey <andrew at alantgeo.com.au> wrote:
> But the Free in Free and Open Source means freely licensed notfree as in
> cost (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software).
>
> My point is simply it's a joint FOSS4G and State of the Map, and the
> OpenStreetMap talks, workshops, community day shouldn't need to be strictly
> free and open source (of course, it's nicer if they are, but I and other
> people coming from the SotM side are likely still interested in hearing
> about commercial and proprietary things which are happening with OSM).
>

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, at 3:57 PM, Martin Tomko wrote:
>
> We are not only OS – we are also FREE. So maybe the tools are free to use?
>
> M.
>

> *From: *FOSS4G-Oceania <foss4g-oceania-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf
> of John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com>
> *Date: *Monday, 30 July 2018 at 3:32 pm
> *To: *"foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org" <foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] Call for workshops winding up
>

> Good point Andrew!
>

> My take on it is that the *primary* message of the workshop/presentation
> would hopefully focus on geospatial open source/open data, OSM etc. But, if
> it contains content related to proprietary software that should be OK. I
> have definitely been thinking there would be an audience for 'hybrid'
> solutions, possibly even could be a focused session on day 2 for OZRI
> attendees to check out (another conversation for later?).
>

> I'd certainly be in favour of observing the 'open minds' philosophy when
> we do our selections.

Adam Steer
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer