[FOSS4G-Oceania] Motion: Discounted tickets for committee & super volunteers

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 17:24:17 PDT 2018

Hi all,

At our last meeting, the question came up whether committee members would
be required to register and pay for attending the conference. Since
conference registrations are now open, people are wondering what they
should do about registering.

We've discussed it in brief a couple of times before, but have never moved
to provide a discount for the committee (or other super volunteers), and
thus have never provided for one in the budget. However, the amount of
effort that we've seen people put in to date (and presumably over the next
few months) is humbling, certainly worth acknowledging, and arguably worth
extending some kind of tangible benefit to show appreciation.

I believe our financials are in a good enough position to make a relatively
modest adjustment in this direction. Our sponsorship drive is on track to
substantially surpass the target, we can likely increase our overall ticket
allocations if demand warrants it, and our current projected surplus is
$22000 ($12000 over and above the high end of the range we committed to aim
for in our agreement with SSSI). But I still think we should be cautious
about making spending decisions that aren't in the budget, there will
likely be further unanticipated adjustments and we need to keep our powder
dry, so to speak.

And so, here's the motion for the committee to consider:
- We increase the pool of discounted $200 volunteer tickets from 15 to 30
- We extend the volunteer discount to committee members, to recognise their
major contributions, with the following caveat: if your employer will
happily pay for the full registration ($400) or the Early Bird ($300), then
please take that option
- Remaining tickets from this pool will be allocated, by agreement of the
co-chairs, to 'super volunteers' who make a major contribution
- To be clear, committee members would be required to pay & register for
the conference to attend (there is a per-person cost for catering, we need
to know how many to cater for in advance)

The *maximum* total cost of this adjustment would be in the range of
$1500-3000, depending on whether the people who take up this option would
otherwise be paying for full cost or early bird rego.

Thoughts?