[FOSS4G-Oceania] Next FOSS4G-Oceania location?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 01:48:13 PDT 2018

I'm luke-warm re putting too much emphasis on surveys.

Will the community feel like they are adding significant value to our
decision making based on the effort they need to commit? If not, we are
at risk of being a burden to the community rather than empowering them,
and you will likely end up with a low voter turn out rate. (I was
disappointed by the level of post conference engagement I got from
attendees after foss4g 2009 compared to pre-conference engagement).

Making a good decision about a conference venue requires a reasonable
time commitment to consider a large number of factors. Ideally you only
burden a few trustworthy people to take on the role (such as our
conference committee).

I said something similar on the international foss4g conference
committee email list a while back:

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2018-October/004976.html

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier