[FOSS4G-Oceania] The Panel Session - It's Time...

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 23:00:18 PDT 2018

I'm finding it hard to form my opinion about a moderator until we are
clear on the topic, and then the panelists to invite.

For a topic, I like this that Adam mentioned before:
6. ’human evolution, ethics and open source mapping’

I think it is punchier than my suggestion of:
7. "What future would we like to see for OSGeo within Oceania within the
years to decade?"

Within both topics we can address "diversity", but they are more
holistic than and therefore should be easier for people to feel engaged
with.

For panelists, I'd suggest we try to create a balance of:
* People with influence.
* People with differing opinions and backgrounds.
* Diversity to at least represent the diversity of our audience, ideally
be a bit more diverse.
* Our organising committee is stacked with many opinionated, older,
influential white men. We should have one on the panel.
* Our keynotes include influential women. We should have one on the panel.

On 5/10/18 3:42 pm, adam steer wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I’d like to reflect on Ed’s committee meeting question for a couple of
> days then come back - I feel that there is some urgency to move, but
> also that we will be OK until Monday :D
>
> For those not present, Ed asked: ‘what outcome do we want from the
> panel discussion?’
>
> I certainly haven’t considered that, I think it would be great to take
> a couple days to do so.
>
> re. panel MC/agitator (yes, whoever MC’s can also be an
> agitator/mischief maker ) - should we reach a topic and then see if
> anyone naturally fits?
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam
>

> On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 at 13:13, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnwbryant at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Can I suggest we move the part of this discussion that's about
>     specific people into a separate, private thread?
>

> --
> Adam Steer
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer