[FOSS4G-Oceania] Forum on Diversity

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Sep 5 16:42:15 PDT 2018

Dear all,
(apologies, a white mail weighing in).
I would not dare stating why there are less women represented in our submissions and community, just state that it is no good and their publicly facing involvement is lesser than their contribution to the discipline.
I wonder if we can learn something from the organisers of the PyConAU conference, judging purely by the twitter thread, it had a great diversity, and the community is certainly even more geeky than us.

Similar for the RConf. Should we reach out, at least for best practice hints? I know that in R, there are some very vocal female present,which probably helps – Di Cook from Melbourne is one of those.

Better late than never…
M.