[FOSS4G-Oceania] [OSGeo Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 - programme outline

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 14:27:19 PDT 2019

I have to disagree that the feedback represents a small subset of opinions
- the feedback that talk length was too short was one of the clearest
messages we received.

I really like the idea of factoring in explicit interchange time, as Martin
put it. Having an allocated 2 min room switch time means that there's none
of this people-coming-and-going-while-question-time-is-happening, a big
distraction.

Re: the number of people on stage - I really like the idea of being
inclusive. But I also feel strongly that we need a selection process, and
that not all talks should be accepted. Not because I don't think that
everyone has a story to tell, but because a little bit of competition for
spaces will, I believe, ultimately help us maintain a high standard of
content. In 2019 we are targeting a smaller audience, thus a smaller pool
of potential speakers... how do we mitigate this? By adding slots, we're
pushing the goalposts a bit farther away.

I feel that inclusivity would be better achieved by placing emphasis on the
submission process - ie. find ways to make sure oldies & newbies alike feel
welcome to submit, provide encouragement and assistance along the way, and
promise things like a 'speakers bootcamp' on workshop day, so that new
speakers might feel like they will be supported throughout the process.

Re: talk lengths, I like Daniel's proposed tweaks, it feels like they
navigate the issues nicely, while potentially addressing the audience
feedback about talk lengths.