[FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

Edoardo Neerhut ed at mapillary.com
Thu Mar 7 21:56:28 PST 2019

Thanks Daniel.

*Role*
Self nominating as the *Sponsorship lead*.

*Why*
I'm excited to get the 2019 conference on a sound financial footing as
early as possible. This will enable us to be less constrained in our
ambitions and better able to deliver a useful conference for the open
source geospatial community. The Good Mojo program will also open the door
for value driven initiatives that we might want to run. Lastly, I'm
passionate about reducing the financial burden on community contributors
who are committing their own funds to be involved. Sponsorship is one of
the most effective ways to reduce this burden.

I was involved in the 2018 sponsorship team so I feel I have a good idea of
what actions are required to get us the sponsorship we need. My role at
Mapillary sees me on the other side of the sponsorship equation regularly
and so I have some insights into how we can deliver better value for
sponsors in 2019 and make it easier for them to make a decision on whether
they commit funds.
Adam and I had a good chat today about learnings from 2018 which we
have started
to add to Emma's sponsorship doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nr40Qk2ZPcWNCFHH9EVsT1emj1KJ2bBJvvGylirWVW0/edit>
.

I've seen conferences fail to get the sponsorship they anticipated and this
can have cascading effects on a lot of other aspects of the conference. It
also creates unnecessary stress for the rest of the team. I want to make
sure this doesn't happen.

*Responsibilities*
I feel pretty clear on what the role entails but happy to discuss at the
next meeting. One thing it would be interesting to explore further is the
Good Mojo program and how the sponsorship team can support diversity
efforts, TGP, childcare and any other efforts we deem a good use of good
mojo funds.

I'd love to help other team leads out as well where/whenever I can be of
service.