[FOSS4G-Oceania] FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2019 Committee Roles

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 14:11:41 PDT 2019

Hi Daniel

Apologies for a slow response, I’ve been turning this over a lot. ...and
thanks Ed for the great example of what to write! I add one extra item -
‘risks’.

*Role*
I’ve self-nominated to chair the program committee

*Why*
I’m passionate about making OSGeo SotM Oceania different from ‘another
industry/science meeting’. The 2018 event is a fantastic base to build on;
and will be a hard act to follow. I don’t have any preset ideas about what
a program should look like; aside from some loose concepts around embracing
the whole community as much as possible, open-mindedness, raising new
voices, trying to avoid default options where we can, being open to how the
world changes between last time and now; and keeping that heady mix of
technical excellence and community-mindedness bubbling away!

The programme committee also has a great set of resources (including
everyone reading this right now) to help figure out what will work and what
won’t; as well as seeing what boundaries we can push to engage people in
new ways (if we need to).

My aim as chair is to more or less draw on all those resources; and do the
legwork which helps other people shine. Help keep barriers to participation
as low as possible, keep the programme committees life sane, and support
the delivery of a conference that is a success - which in turn supports the
main game: promoting, strengthening and building the open geospatial
community in Oceania.

*Responsibilities I’m uncertain about*
>From my view the responsibilities of the program chair seem pretty clear -
one of which is to delegate as much as possible to, for example, the good
mojo/community day team or the academic subcommittee (if one exists); and
another of which is to gather as much support as possible for putting the
actual program together. There are heaps of uncertainties about how it will
all work right at this point, there is no clear idea of what a program
might look like - we’ll work it out together!

*Risks*
I’m waiting to hear about a job move which would see me wind my OSGeo
Oceania activities back a lot after about May 2019. I should know this
week, but may not find out until later in the month. In the event that
happens; I’ll work with the LOC to replace myself/hand over ASAP.

…or another move which would do the opposite and land me right in ground
zero for 2019. So uncertainty abounds.

With that in mind it’d be awesome to have someone nominate themselves as
committee co-chair; which there has been some out-of-list discussion about
already. From what I saw in 2018 there’s definitely enough work to share
around.

Cheers

--
Dr. Adam Steer