[Foss4g2008loc] FW: Listing FOSS4G2008 on the ICA website

Graeme McFerren gmcferren at csir.co.za
Mon Feb 4 08:20:37 EST 2008

In my opinion, this is an OSGEO-led event. Furthermore, the focus is not on GIScience and Cartography so much as on GIS solutions through FOSS GIS (alone and in conjunction with proprietary GIS) and on the development of the software infrastructure that can enable solutions. So, I am wondering where the ICA fits in. How does OSGEO feel about an ICA stamp of approval and a say in how things are run for what is essentially its own conference? What does GISSA feel about it too, seeing as we are running in conjunction with the GISSA Conference?

Graeme

>>> "Inge Netterberg" <inge.netterberg at gmail.com> 02/04/08 8:28 AM >>>
Dear All,

What benefit do we get from their endorsement?

I am concerned about them wanting to speak at the opening, we definitely
need to monitor how many people are entitled to speak and how many people we
want to speak at the opening. It is the opening and I would like to see some
substance, sparking of debate where by the tone of the conference is
initiated.

Further I am concerned about putting their logo on the front cover of the
proceedings, as this is going to detract from our logos (OSGeo and GISSA)
along with any of the main sponsors of the event who will have paid large
amounts of money to place their logo on the front cover. It does however
state that this is a recommendation.

Those are my thoughts at this point.

Inge