[Foss4g2008loc] RE: FOSS4G2008 advertising

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 22 12:23:40 EST 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> On 22-Jan-08, at 2:07 AM, Carrin Martin wrote:
>
>> I met with Clare (EE Editor) at our last AGM and she said that they
>> would be interested in some form of collaboration/sponsorship for e.g.
>> if they could get hold of good articles at the end and put them into a
>> publication.  I think we should explore this formally - do we want
>> someone to meet with Clare and Chris? Shall I broach this with Chris
>> Yelland - he owns EE Publishers who produce the magasine.
>
> That gets my vote - having a good relationship with EE or PositionIT
> would be valuable from my perspective.
>
> Please also note that Directions Magazine is interested in
> cross-promoting their Location Intelligence event with FOSS4G or OSGeo.
> If there are some good ideas for how to do it, I suggest contacting
> them.  Is someone else already in touch with them.

Folks,

Sounds like a good idea to me.  A couple things to keep in mind:

  1) Try to avoid offering *exclusive* content to a publisher.

  2) Think a bit about who is going to put material into suitable form for
     these publications to use.  Are we talking about reworking some
     presentations into articles?  Some presenters might be willing to do
     this but it isn't a forgone conclusion.  Perhaps someone is willing
     to take on an editorial role to do this on behalf of the conference
     committee?

Best regards,