[Foss4g2009] Workshops

shoaib saburq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 06:36:09 EDT 2008

1.  RE. the end of Labs: i agree the effort required to organize labs is
similar to workshops but labs add little value in addition to the workshops.
So workshops trump labs

2. Workshop Content: There is no way to tell what kind of content we will
get until we put out the Call for Workshops/Papers. But I agree catering for
a range of competencies is better than just targeting beginners. I think the
days of "Introduction-to-*" workshops for FOSS4G are fast coming to a
close.

3. Impact on Rooms: Similarly workshops can vary in attendance & popularity.
It would be nice to have a range of room sizes. can we get estimates of
attendance from previous years? No of rooms required will depend on how many
concurrent workshops we will run. 6 has been the standard in the past.
Assuming it is still 6 ... we need 6 rooms but which have a flexible size.

Any estimates Paul/Gavin?

Shoaib Burq