[Board] Re: [Foss4g2009] OSGeo AGM at FOSS4G?

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:43:14 EST 2009

I'm just going to throw up some ideas in tabular form, so please bear
with me.

AGM 2007

State of OSGeo			10m
Local Chapter Reports		20m	8 chapters
Committee Reports		15m	4 committees
Software Projects Reports	30m	9 projects
Open Q&A / Debate / Panel	15m	4 topics

AGM 2008

State of OSGeo			10m
Local Chapter Reports		25m	15 chapters
Committee Reports		15m	5 committees
Software Project Reports	30m	10 projects
Sponsors			10m	7 of 13 sponsors
Open Q&A / Debate / Panel	30m	5 topics

AGM 2009 - potential
State of OSGeo			10m
Local Chapter Reports		25-90m	[0,35] chapters
Committee Reports		15-30m	[0,10] committees
Software Project Reports	30-60m	[0,16] projects
Sponsors			10m
Open Q&A / Debate / Panel	30m

There's the potential between the numbers of committees, local chapters
and projects to pull a day of reports.  It's unrealistic to think that
each chapter or committee will have something to say, but we should be
ready to accommodate whoever shows up.

I really like Tylers idea of having the projects provide proper updates
during regular sessions.  This could work well for committee / chapter
reports as well.  If we do pull a track on the 21st for this, we've got
six sessions to play with.  From past years we've given ~ 3minutes per
project, which strikes me as terribly insufficient.  If we could push to
15 minutes and pair up projects I think we could cover things in a more
informative and useful manner.  It will also let delegates cherry-pick
the projects/committees/chapters they're most interested in.  This
depends, of course, on who steps up to talk, and we'll need to get
people committed before program production.

How many "State of my Project" presentations are normally presented?
Would anyone (Frank?) feel slighted by having their regular talk time
cut in half and squeezed into a speciality thread?  And what about
non-OSGeo projects that offer such presentations, GeoServer for example?
  Are they forced into our format and thread for consistency or do we
just let them run independently?

We will still need time after the sessions for the State of OSGeo,
Sponsors and Panel sections, as those seem to me to belong in a proper
AGM format.  Would that still kill our BOFs for the day?  I don't like
the idea of losing any of the BOFs if it can be helped.

Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect
LISAsoft

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com