[Foss4g2009] A helping hand.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:09:56 EST 2009

Doug,
Great to hear from you, and welcome aboard.

 From your interests, it seems like you would be technically competent,
which is excellent because people like you are in high demand.

Here is some background, and my suggestions for involvement, highest
value first:

Getting the workshops sorted out is going to be quite a challenge. It is
one area where local volunteers like yourself will be especially
valuable. Mark Leslie has started work on this, but is at the very early
stages of planning. He has drafted a call for workshops here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Call_for_Workshops
and recently sent an email out about computer requirements:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g2009/2009-January/000640.html
There will be lots of questions answered about workshops, like whether
we use the LiveDVD or not, whether we use Windows or Linux, etc, etc.
So if you have an interest in this area, it would probably be the
highest value you can add.

The LiveDVD project is ticking along. We have produced a liveDVD.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
Next steps is to automate much of the building of the liveDVD so that it
can be recreated much more easily than in the past. This ties in very
closely with packaging DebianGIS, UbuntuGIS and building a GIS Virtual
Machine. All related projects.
Stefan Hansen has been working on the LiveDVD between paying projects.

And the other big ticket item at FOSS4G will be the Climate Change
Integration Plugfest
http://external.opengis.org/twiki_public/bin/view/ClimateChallenge2009/WebHome
This project is just starting, with the OGC and Bureau of Meteorology
taking lead roles.

Our next Organising Committee teleconference will be next Wed 21 Jan at 1pm.
You might want to meet us in person for the meeting. LISAsoft where I
work is based in Pyrmont.