[Foss4g2009] Draft of Call for Abstracts

Mark Leslie mrk.leslie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:58:14 EST 2009

I'm happy with Harley's suggestion, though I may try to reword it into a
topic of it's own instead of within Case Studies.  That might give it
stronger emphasis, but the right words aren't coming to me yet.

I disagree with a 20 minute talking time.  As someone who tends to rush
to fit within my time slot, I'd be very unhappy losing 20% of my time
and I think having 5 minutes to twiddle thumbs between presentations
ruins the flow of the event.

But this brings us to the larger question of how we're going to organise
presentation slides and what support we will have at the podium for
presenters.  Does anyone know offhand what was done in previous years?
At WALIS presenters were required to test their presentation on the
laptop before their presentation slot, and all presentations for a block
were there waiting.  No setup and few problems.  I have no problem
making this a requirement, and we should be insisting (if we can insist
on anything) that presentation slides are provided before the conference
starts.

There's also the question of who will be running the presentation
streams.  Will we grab a volunteer to introduce presenters and make sure
they finish on time, or will we ask one of the presenters to do it?  Not
something we need a decision on quickly, but something worth some thought.

Mark Leslie
Geospatial Software Architect
LISAsoft

Ph: +61 2 8570 5000 Fax: +61 2 8570 5099 Mob: +61
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf 19-21 Pirrama Rd Pyrmont NSW 2009

LISAsoft is part of the A2end Group of Companies
http://www.ardec.com.au
http://www.lisasoft.com
http://www.terrapages.com