[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G and Ignite Spatial

Doug White doug.royce.white at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 17:27:51 EDT 2009

Hi All,

It seems there are a few choices.

Stephen, I  like your proposal to hold it in the evening i.e. 21/10/2009
after the days events as an alternative function, which people might
like to cruise to on the way home or dinner etc. As the event is free
and will attract the SSI members anyway it could be cross-promoted at
FOSS4G as a meet and greet some of the Sydney Spatial professionals and
still have an OS focus.

Focus on the OSGEO and also propriety vendor solutions which the
majority of SSI members use.  Possibly with an open source twist such as
Python scripting for FME or ArcGIS or using OS tools with propriety
products - ie. PostGresSQL and ArcSDE?

or...

Proposed Option 1.

Run IgniteSpatial as a primer to the conference, either as part of the
National SSI conference and/or at an event in Sydney in the lead up to
FOSS4G and allow enough time for people to register.  This would provide
the opportunity to promote and channel SSI members to FOSS4G and helps
get OSGEO on the radar of SSI members. I agree with Cameron, it should
be themed so presentations provide some focus on OS solutions - as above.

Proposed Option 3.

Extend Lightning Talks to 1 hour.  However the format seems to very
similar to the Demonstration Theatre which builds on the idea by showing
running software and Jody has this covered.  In my opinion, an
IgniteSpatial event would really have to compete for attention and need
to provide some relevance for me to attend in preference to a Demo
Theatre and in between keynote speakers.

Doug White
Geospatial Consultant
Mobile: 0414 341 583
Phone: +612 9804 8807