[foss4g2014] FOSS4G Code Sprint/WhereCampPDX

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Thu Nov 14 11:22:30 PST 2013

I met with Audrey and Reid from Stumptown Syndicate (SS) briefly last night, and we discussed the logistics of the code sprint/WhereCampPDX combination.

Audrey/Reid, please correct me if I'm wrong on anything from my notes.

We agreed that the plan we discussed on Tuesday for the Eliot Center is a good one. That is, reserving the B-section, with an option on the A section. Reid noted that his experience has been that it's rare for both sections to be used by two different groups so we shouldn't have trouble if we need to add the A section later.

WhereCampPDX registration will open along side FOSS4G registration, so people can register for both (or either) at the same time. We'll use the same registration system for simplicity's sake.

SS has some furniture, like lounge chairs, couches, lamps, and a few mobile whiteboards. If we can get some movers to bring them in/out of the Eliot Center, these are available for use.

SS also suggested bringing in an outside Wi-Fi provider for the day, or possibly talking to PersonalTelco, who runs the wi-fi in the Eliot Center about ability to expand capacity for the day.

For funding. We discussed several possible arrangements.  SS was partial to having a Code Sprint/WhereCampPDX add-on to our sponsorship package, which they would offer at around the same price to their typical sponsors. We would share revenues after expenses. SS is going to come up with a proposed budget and cost-sharing plan, which we can discuss further. Hopefully by the Nov 18th meeting, which should have someone from SS attending. I'm inclined to leave the cost of the space out of that calculation and essentially give it to WhereCampPDX free. The marginal cost of the additional classrooms is small, and we're still cheaper than holding it at the convention center would likely be.

The Sunday game day that is typically part of WhereCampPDX would be solely the responsibility of SS.

Reid also reminded us that WhereCampPDX typically has a day before party, and he suggested holding it at the Oregon Rail Heritage center, which is on the street car line. http://www.orhf.org/oregon-enginehouse-and-rail-heritage-center/parties-events/party-at-orhc/

Audrey & Reid: Is that all correct? Did I miss anything?