[FOSS4G2016] A postcard for promoting the conference on print media

anton at foss4g2016.org anton at foss4g2016.org
Tue Jul 7 14:57:51 PDT 2015

Hi,

the single colored and blurred OSGeo-logo were intentional. I find the
green logo much harder to see, since it's over a green forest, and
besides: there is the full color version on the back side. The blur/glow
was there to make the light shadow in the background more subtle (which
obviously worked since nobody complained about it =). The shadow is
there to enhance the contrast, and since it's part of the background
too, I hope you don't object to the 'Do not' part 'b' that states 'Add
dark drop shadows to the logo'. Due to the dark, wild background and the
wide radius of the shadow (which doesn't really make it a 'drop' shadow
in this sense, as shown in the guide), I still find it subtle enough and
it makes a great difference for the readability from the far.

Neither single color mode nor shadow as common contrast enhancement tool
on a non-white(!), noisy(!) background *in combination* with white
foreground are taken into concern in the style guide (a weakness of it,
as I think). Is the guide incomplete maybe? (At least it's a very small
compared to other style-guides I've seen and seems to be designed
especially for business cards and white or green paper.)

As for the single color: Logo-design-101 says, that a logo should always
be printable using one color (i.e. for black-only printers). The
OSGeo-logo's design itself is definitly capable of it.

I vote for the white logo at least *in this instance*. The alternative
would be a white box around it, for which I would ask someone else to do
that. I couldn't bring that over my heard (for the logo's sake =).
Or something else... any ideas?

So for the final version I just took out the glow and weakend the shadow
a bit. Here are the ready-to-print versions as PDF:

Front: http://antonpopov.de/foss4g-2016/postcard/front-06-final.pdf
Back:  http://antonpopov.de/foss4g-2016/postcard/back-03-final.pdf

or as PNG:

Front: http://antonpopov.de/foss4g-2016/postcard/front-06-final.png
Back:  http://antonpopov.de/foss4g-2016/postcard/back-03-final.png

A commit to the SVN (including cleaned up XCF's) will follow soon.

Thank you all for having an opinion and commenting on the topic =)
That made this a lot easier!

Regards
Anton