[FOSS4G2016] Use of #foss4g IRC (monthly meeting spot?)

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jun 3 06:53:07 PDT 2015

Hi all,

While we are on the topic of communications:

There is an IRC channel that is mostly not used: #foss4g on freenode.net
(if you don't have an IRC client, you can login directly through your
browser at https://webchat.freenode.net/).

Why could this channel be useful to the 2016 committee?  A place that
organizers can chat at any time.  For example, the back and forth that
Till and I did through private email today could have simply been done
in that channel (I live there everyday as "jmckenna").  I see about 10
others there everyday, but the channel is mostly quiet.

You could also start holding monthly planning meetings there (or if the
meeting is in person, then give updates to remote committee members
through that IRC channel).

Again, not every local committee listens to me.  But, I'm letting you
know that this is an option (might as well use it!).

(there is an #osgeo channel of course, but, I feel we could make the
mostly unused #foss4g channel to be the home for instant FOSS4G-2016
planning)

-jeff