[FOSS4G2016] our Logo

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Wed May 27 23:35:15 PDT 2015

Am 2015-05-28 07:43, schrieb Nicolas Bozon:
> [...]
> design and content).
>
> According to my experience working with LOCs on these topics, i would
> recommend the following process:
>
> - Find an engaging, eye-catching and ‘local’ FOSS4G visual
> identity idea (i’m on it with Rhein river and Ribbon :). I can later
> tell different stories and bad/good practices about FOSS4G logo
> creation if you interested.
> - Create a vector logotype/logotext out of this idea (SVG, that you
> can export to any format/scale for web design, branding, printing ..)
> - Select the CMS or web platform which will power the website (think
> at once about CMS usability and available ressources when choosing,
> but also about submission system, registration system, online
> payments)
> - Adapt that CMS front-end to the created FOSS4G 2016 visual
> identity.
> In other words, develop the logo shapes and colors into a consistent
> CSS theme (pure CSS, bootstrap theme, or a theme for a specific
> CMS…)
> - Ensure that the website is fully responsive, as most of the users
> will probably use it also onsite, to find their way of practical
> information (this must be considered when starting the CSS).
> - Create and publish content gradually in the CMS as the organization
> goes along (an important part of the work is usually to input the
> schedule, tracks and talks)
> - Use and abuse of social networking channels, inside and outside the
> website (for Europe 2015, this is not done by the webmaster but
> someone else from LOC)
> - Prepare the conference printed material (program, banners, flyers,
> tshirts and other swags) using the created logo and identity.
>
> That is basically what we did for FOSS4G Europe this year and it
> worked pretty well.
>
> At last but not least, i would also highly recommend the LOC to
> consider a minimum budget for everything related to branding, design
> and web presence.
> This would first ensure a great looking and professional website
> design and content, but above all would avoid any volunteer
> harassment
> or webmaster burnouts when deadline are approaching.
> If that makes sense, i would be happy to provide an estimate, based
> on
> my previous experiences, the needs of the Bonn LOC, and with low
> rates
> that i use when it comes to ‘OSGeo friendship’.
>
> By the way, the two attached logos you are talking about did not
> reach
> my inbox when Jeff forwarded your last email.
> Could you please send it to me again ? I looking forward to give a
> look and try to create something cool.
> Many thanks in advance
>
> I scincerely hope we can create an awesome FOSS4G 2016 visual
> identity
> together !
> Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, i will wait for ant

Hi Nicolas,

thanks for that offer, that's great!. Of course we are glad for every
helping hand. If I understood Jeff right, you will be in Como, so that's
a good opprotunity to meet, talk, have a beer.
I will be there from wednesday until friday morning.

If you have any ideas regarding our logo, just go ahead - I'd like to
move that forward ASAP.
Some infos about Bonn:

Bonn is located at the rhine river (that's why we've choosen that
ribbon as river)
Bonn's city colors are yellow and red:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonner_Wappen
Some more to find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonn
Bonn is proud to be birth city of Beethoven 8it's also heading to be
kind of "music city")
Very close to Bonn is the "Siebengebirge" or "Seven Hills", geological
a young vulcanic area (last activity ~15 Mio years BP), but also a
famous activity area and also the first nature parc of germany:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siebengebirge
That's why we've included these mountains in the drafts.
Also from 1949 to 1990 the german parliamant was in Bonn. That's why we
now can make a conference in the former parliaments pleanry chamber (and
dedicate the former chancellores seat to Jeff ;-))

I hope that helps a little bit.

So far, Till