[FOSS4G2016] Regarding 10th anniversary

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Nov 16 06:23:26 PST 2015

Folks,
I concur that we should not make this another 10th FOSS4G anniversary.
The first FOSS4G is much older, neither is it the 10th annual event in a
row and there are other events also branded FOSS4G (NA/E/CE/CEE/local).
So we most probably piss someone off and bore the others, lets just make
it good as it is.

Just as a reminder: OSGeo has its first, real and only 10th anniversary
in 2016. It was founded in February 2006 and we should make sure that
this fact gets some recognition at FOSS4G. If we really need any kind of
anniversary thingy...

Cheers,
Arnulf

On 16.11.2015 12:54, Marc Vloemans wrote:
> Till et al
>
> Regarding our sub-text/proposition....I prefer to stick to one pay-off
 line, the original one; Building Bridges!
> Communicating more than one pay-off line in the same mail/poster/other
 broadcast is bad-practice in PR/Communication. (think also of the numbe
r of other items to be mentioned; sponsors/partners/program items/invita
tion to attend/etc). It is comparable to redundant/non-functional and ev
en conflicting code lines on your screen....it looks like cheap 'discoun
ting' retail practice.

> And besides; Buiding Bridges conveys added value, a promise to attende
es, a positive signal to the world. Just another 10-year claim pales in
comparison, it will undoubtedly reap new and elongated list-threads and
deviates our focus.

> Unfortunately I have on monday afternoons/early evenings structurally
a couple of conference/team calls with the US. Attending the IRC meeting
 is next to impossible for me, unfortunately.

> Kind regards,
> Marc Vloemans
>

>> Op 16 nov. 2015 om 10:36 heeft till.adams at fossgis.de het volgende ges
chreven:

>> Hey Bart,
>>
>> no problem with that! We germans are experts. We also had two "first
german speaking UMN Mapserver meetings" (as Jörg can remember)  - and we
 got that managed ;-)

>> Perhaps an issue for PR&M how far we gonna emphasize that?
>>
>> Till
>>

>> Am 2015-11-16 09:01, schrieb Bart van den Eijnden:
>>> I share Anton’s concerns. Portland marketed themselves as 10th FOSS4
>>> (and these was extensive discussion on the mailing list how they cam
>>> to this), I don’t think we can do this again. It only leads to
>>> confusion.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bart

here was an OSG2005 in Minneapolis.