[FOSS4G2016] Attendance fee and transparency report

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:20:29 PDT 2016

Hi Till,

On 05/09/2016 09:00 AM, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
> Prices: I see two problems.
> 1. LOC are held to make a surplus, that goes to OSGeo, but OSGeo does
> not really care about financial issues.

That's something I'm not a fan of. I think the calculation should be
based on making no surplus (the surplus would of course go to the OSGeo
if there is any, but it shouldn't be a goal).

> 2. The surrounding: YOu need a conference center (expensive), official
> PCO (expensive), gala event included (expensive)

That's also what I wrote in my replies. And this is also the reason why
I want to do a transparency report, so that people at least know where
all the money goes.

> What really surprised me is hat there are two people handing in their
> talks and not expecting, that the conference costs money...regarding
> travel and accommodation costs, I guess, that normally the conference
> fee does not make such big difference - of course depending on where the
> people come from.

Those people were rather local. And I agree that 600 EUR is a lot (even
if you total travel + accommodation are let's say 1000 EUR). Please also
remember that the information about the costs was out way after the call.

Additionally I also know/have spoken at other conferences, where
speakers don't pay for the conference itself. I'd even say it's the norm.

Cheers,
  Volker