[FOSS4G2017] Next steps

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 6 07:12:26 PDT 2016

(responding to Guido's message on SAC list[below], here)

Hi Guido,

I notice that you have many OSGeo user names:
http://www.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/ldap_web_search.py?query=guido

Anyway, I have added 'gsteinmon' to the 'foss4g' Git team (login at
https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/org/foss4g/ and you should see the 2017
repository)  It's all yours to make changes in :)

Regarding your Chapters question: are you referring to making a new
chapter page for your Boston chapter?  That is done through the OSGeo
wiki (using that same username).  Create your new chapter page here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Local_Chapters

Hope this helps,

-jeff

On 2016-09-06 11:04 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> [...]
>> week-long event.
>>
>> Transportation
>> --------------
>>
>> - at recent FOSS4G events a strong partnership with their local tourism
>> branch was made, and some events even included transportation passes for
>> the week (Seoul team included a subway/metro card with a few dollars
>> credit on it, for example).  As this Boston event will have some
>> transportation challenges (workshops at Tufts/Harvard) this could be
>> important.
>>
>> Kids Map Gallery
>> ----------------
>>
>> Discussing with Heather Hillers, whose 8 year old son surprised her with
>> a special FOSS4G Bonn painting
>> (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/File:FelixHillers-FOSS4G2016-painting.jpg),
>> we think it's time for a "Kids Map Gallery" at a FOSS4G event.  This is
>> a tribute to Venka's daughter's initial drawing, done at FOSS4G 2004 in
>> Thailand (http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/slogan.html).  It
>> could be something similar to a poster session, and a great way for kids
>> to become interested in "maps and sharing" :)  I told Heather that I may
>> ask her to champion this ha.  I think it is a wonderful idea.
>>
>> Social Events
>> -------------
>>
>> - I shouldn't need to say how important these are for a successful
>> event.  It is important to arrange a place each night for attendees to
>> meet at.  And I mean every night - this DEFINITELY includes the Monday
>> and Tuesday nights of the workshop days.  This is often a mistake by
>> local committees (they are scared of committing to planning a social
>> event those nights); well, you don't need to reserve a pub, but you do
>> need to have a recommended pub for those nights.  Bonn team did an
>> amazing job of this, naming "official" pubs for the event, and hardcore
>> FOSS4G attendees still rave about the 2007 pub "Sticky Wicket", which
>> was just a place to go meet attendees each and every night.  You want
>> your event to be raved about - think of each night.
>>
>> Academic Track
>> --------------
>>
>> This is often poorly handled at FOSS4G events.  Researchers and students
>> need a large and prominent poster session, to display their work, and
>> give talks throughout the tracks, to assist in getting funding to the
>> event, and for many other reasons (getting published in journals etc). A
>> champion is needed to focus on this.  (Academia is one of the important
>> life-lines for Open Source, they often drive innovation and provide
>> funding, and train future leaders)
>>
>> Important Items Usually Forgotten in Final Program
>>
>> - the OSGeo AGM is a one hour meeting that must be at the end of a day,
>> in no conflict with other talks.
>>
>> - the closing plenary should allow time for the Sol Katz Award (and
>> recently, students awards and a developer award).
>>

>> Those are my thoughts for now, to get everyone moving.  Let's make 2017

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/