GDAL and libgrass (and mapserver)

Markus Neteler neteler at i...
Mon Oct 15 09:13:22 EDT 2001

Hi all,

currently I try to investigate if directly reading GRASS
locations from mapserver through GDAL and libgrass
(http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/grass/)

I have compiled libgrass into GDAL obviously properly:

gdal-config --formats
gxf gtiff hfa aigrid aaigrid ceos ceos2 iso8211 sdts raw dted mem jdem
envisat elas fit gif jpeg png grass

The sample program grassinfo (comes along with libgrass), also
works:

grassinfo
Possible cell names:
shade30m
aspect10
dtm10.shade
dtm10

(this indicates, that $HOME/.grassrc5 is read properly which contains the
location/mapset information and the path to GRASS database)

But, when trying to run gdalinfo on a GRASS raster map, it fails:

gdalinfo /ssi0/ssi/neteler/grassdata5/pat/neteler/cellhd/aspect10
ERROR 4: /ssi0/ssi/neteler/grassdata5/pat/neteler/cellhd/aspect10' not
recognised as a supported file format.

GDALOpen failed - 4
/ssi0/ssi/neteler/grassdata5/pat/neteler/cellhd/aspect10' not recognised as
a supported file format.

If this would be working, I assume that Mapserver also would read this file
(hope so!). I would be glad to receive a hint what I could have done wrong
here.

Best regards

Markus Neteler