[Gdal-dev] new build strategy for org/orgsf_frmts/

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 18:31:05 EDT 2003

Alessandro Amici wrote:
> Frank,
>
> i just moved the ogr/ogrsf_frmts/ in cvs to use a build strategy similar to
> the frmts/. note that ogrsf_frmts.a now only contains object files from
> ogr/ogrsf_frmts/*.
> that is, the sdts format is not self contained any more into ogrsf_frmts.a, in
> fact a few object files are now only found into gdal.a (they where copied
> into ogrsf_frmts.a before).
>
> as far as i can say nothing should change unless someone is linking statically
> against ogrsf_frmts.a, but not against gdal.a (?).
>
> if needed i can restore the old behavior.

Alessandro,

I think a few things like MapServer used to sometimes statically link against
the OGR libraries and may have some quirks with this change, but likely just
best to deal with it there.   Is there any point to having a variety of
static libraries now?  Is there any reason to not just fold ogr.a and
ogrsf_frmts.a directly into gdal.a?

If we were to do this we would have an issue with how the object file list
from the ogr directory is maintained.  We can't trivially pull all .o files
from the ogr directory into gdal.a (like we do with most other directories)
because there could be .o files from OGR utility programs.  Perhaps those
should just be moved to gdal/apps for uniformity?

Despite my conservative nature, I am willing to suffer a little disruption
at this point if it will be helpful in the future.