[Gdal-dev] GDAL As A Local Map?

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Fri Aug 13 11:05:19 EDT 2004

Jeremy, interesting application.
I think you could do some great stuff with GDAL-related libraries, you
just to pick the right data format.  I mainly familiar with 1 or 3 bands
(what I can "normal") imagery, but I know there are certains formats
support by GDAL that do more than that.

How much of the data that is collected will be thrown out vs. be kept for
long periods of time?  If you do need to keep just appending to a raster,
there are at least two options in my mind.

The easiest (though may not most performance-effective) may be to use an
ASCII-based format that GDAL can support.  That way your sensor data can
be streamed out pretty quickly without a lot of format concerns - and you
wouldn't need GDAL per se to do the work.

Alternatively you could spit out new data into a new file every so often,
then do a merge/mosaic of it back with the old set - hence updating and
expanding it.

Those are the ways I'd do it and thereby avoiding the need to programming
with GDAL but still using related utilities (at least  until I realize
that performance is pathetic).

I assume that using the GDAL libraries you can programmatically add row
and columns of data to existing rasters, perhaps someone else can comment
on that approach.

Tyler

"Jeremy Gillula" <jeremy at caltech.edu> wrote on 08/12/2004 01:37:15 PM:

> The robot will use several types of sensors to generate the elevation
data
> of its surroundings (laser range finders, stereovision systems) which it
> will then transform into UTM coordinates.  We may also add a layer where
the
> robot uses other sensors to classify different elevations as certain
types
> of terrain (road, rocks, plants, water, etc.)  To make path-planning
easier
> we will probably combine this data into a "cost map" where the value of
each
> pixel represents the "cost" of traversing that point, rather than the
> elevation.  Imagery of the robot's current map would be nice to have
> eventually, but isn't really necessary.  The real aim is to have a data
> structure that the robot can fill in with data in real time (on the
order of
> thousands or even millions of elevation points per second) which can
then be
> read, converted to a cost (which is an algorithm we already have) and
then
> read again to do the path-planning.  It's not so much for human viewing
as
> for robot-using.
> Writing such a data structure ourselves wouldn't be impossible (or that
> hard, either) - we just thought we'd see if an open source alternative
> existed first, and we liked how GDAL has the ability to support multiple
> bands of information - we're just not sure if it's fast enough or if it
has
> the capability to somehow scroll the map as the robot moves without
doing
> time-expensive data copying.
>
> Does this information help any?  If not, let me know and I can go into
more
> detail.  Thank you for your help!
>
>  - Jeremy

UTM