[Gdal-dev] Please suggest a vector format for wireless application

Fu Chen chen at yinyue123.com
Sun Feb 8 08:53:06 EST 2004

Hi!
I wanna create a simple application for traffic management department in my city to broadcast the situation on the road. This application will help driver make his best route and ease the trafic block.
The data is very simple, the most important  is main road's position, its name,  and the situation on the road which can be some levels for example 0 for free road and 5 for total blocked road. Some other layers can be include if the space permit. The mobile device will get the road map in once and then contact the host for the realtime road situation in some time gap.
Now I must select a format for a space and bandwidth limited mobile device.  GML seems a good selection for  webgis. But it will waste a lot of bandwidth to transport tag. Is there a simple compact binary format suite my design.
Hope some guru in this list will give me some suggestion.
Thank!!