[Gdal-dev] Radical OGR Update

Alessandro Amici alexamici at fastwebnet.it
Thu Feb 19 11:40:17 EST 2004

Frank,

On Thursday 19 February 2004 16:51, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> OK, there seems to be a general agreement, that folks would prefer to have
> a release now instead of in some indeterminate future after a bunch of
> restructuring.  The release will be called 1.2.0 primarily because of the
> change to use of libtool.  But also because my internal version macros
> won't let me use a 10 for any of the release subcomponents. :-)
>
> I will prepare a 1.2.0 alpha today.

i'm sure that if you give us all a list of 'must fix' and 'need work' items
people will concentrate on those and try to shorten the release cycle as much
as possible. it appears that everybody here is waiting for the release ;)

> Note that I hate branches, so I will want the 1.2.x series to settle down
> now before proceeding to a 1.3.0 (or even 2.0.0) with the suggested OGR
> changes.  That means giving things a few months for point releases.

if you are going to do a major restucture, even moving file around, a 1.2.0
branch will look more like a separate project that happen to reside inside
the same cvs than a real branch (that is, you will not able to merge stuff
anyhow).

however waiting 'a few months' untill 1.2.x is stable seems overkill to me.
since it is a dead-end anyhow, why not forking it at some stage (after the
1.2.0 release) and put it into 'critical fixes only'. if it is better to fork
gdal in a cvs branch or in a copied cvs repository i'll leave to your
taste ;)

cheers,
alessandro