[Gdal-dev] Problem building overviews

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:32:01 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:01:04 -0500, William Lyons
<wlyons at prologic-inc.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to build overviews for a dataset containing a single band
> with a color interp of palette index (a CADRG file)
>
> When I use the AVERAGE option the map looks bad when scaled down beyond a
> certain point.

William,

In general paletted files should not be averaged for overviews.

> But when I use the MODE option I get the following errors:

MODE is not actually implemented as a downsampling type.  I
should either remove it from the Usage message, or implement it.
However, I can never decide which to do.

> ERROR 5: Access window out of range in RasterIO().  Requested
>
> (0,768) of size 768x1 on raster of 768x768.
> I'm using a pretty old CVS snapshot.  So, my apologies if this has already
> been addressed.

Hmm, the above are not expected.  I would encourage you to try
"-r near" with current code (perhaps the beta) and see if the problem
still occurs.  If so, report it with details and I wll see what I can do.

If you are using the CADRG data directly from OGDI and trying to build
overviews against an OGDI datasource, you might be well advised
convert to GeoTIFF first.