[Gdal-dev] OGR support of E00

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 17:20:53 EDT 2005

On 9/28/05, Todd.Southen at bentley.com <Todd.Southen at bentley.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't look like OGR can open an
> E00 file directly.  Is this true?  If so, are there any plans to support
> this in the future?  I notice in ogrregisterall.cpp that there's a
> commented out line:
>
> //    RegisterOGRE00();
>
> It would be great if this was in the works!

Todd,

The AVCE00 library used to read Arc/Info binary coverages can also
support E00 files; however, at the time the OGR driver was implemented
only binary coverages were considered critical for the client so the E00
support was never done.  There are some issues with implementing E00
files due to the sequential nature of them.  The AVC (binary coverage)
support was easier since we can easily request any feature in the files
without worrying about seeking around in a text file which can be tricky.

Of course, if Bentley would like to fund E00 support, I would be happy to
deal with those issues!