[Gdal-dev] can not perform "gdal_merge.py", "gdal_rgb2pct.py" and "pct2rgb.py"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 23 10:36:53 EDT 2006

Zhonghai Wang wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> to solve my last problem I am trying to merge all the GIFs into one
> large TIF file usding the command gdal_merge.py, but the error message
> says that no such a command can be found, and even if type rgb2pct.py,
> pct2rgb.py and gdal-config the same error message apppears again and
> again. I've checked the version of my GDAL using the gdalinfo --version
> command, it gives "GDAL 1.3.1.0 <http://1.3.1.0>, released 2005/10/04".
>
> should I update my GDAL? or the commands really do not work?
>
> zhonghai

Zhonghai,

A lot depends on how things are built.  the .py scripts are python scripts
and depend on having things built with proper Python support.  The gdal-config
script is a bash script and only available on unix and unix-like systems.
Perhaps you are on windows, and don't have Python on your system (or perhaps
not enabled in your GDAL build)?